Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Is it a Little "Chilly" out there?

Last night while I was trying to unwind and fall asleep, I was thinking about which Pop-up to make a card with next.  The last thing I saw on my desk while cleaning up for the night was a "Chilly the Penguin" character that I had left over from another card, so he was kinda fresh in my mind, and I thought maybe I could use him.

So, I climb into bed,  laying there thinking....  I managed to figure out which Pop-up I wanted to use, then thought "cool, now I can go to sleep!"  WRONG!!! My brain fired up, and  ideas just started  popping into my head!  So, I thought, "Go write them down so that then you can get some sleep."   WRONG AGAIN!!!  I got up, thinking I'd just get some of the ideas down on paper so I didn't forget them come morning.

I sketched a rough draft of the igloo, played around with Chilly a bit, then an idea for a fishing pole with fish on the end of it popped into my head.  Next thing I know is it's 2 hrs later, my eyes are bleeding cause I'm so tired, and I had built at least 1/2 of the card!

I think what I'm trying to say is...Don't expect a new blog enrty everyday,   but when the ideas are flowing I need to run with it.  Trust me, there will be dry spells!



5 1/2 by 5 1/2 card



Most of this was pretty straight forward using primarily #1042 Spinner Square Pop-up by Karen Burniston, and #1408 Reindeer by Elizabeth Craft Design for the snow flakes, trees, and hills.  Of course, there's Chilly the penguin ( a retired die by Karen Burniston).  

The stamp set was Simon Says Stamp & die set #101624 Father's Day Finds,  I used it for the fishing pole, lure, and fish.  I doubled these up for strength. They were colored in using Spectrum Noir markers, accented with a white gel pen.  

The backgrounds were inked with Faded Jeans Distress Oxide inks and spotted with water.  The igloo was totally free hand, and meant to be just a mock up, but I kind of liked the whimsy of it and kept it.

  The flag was made with a toothpick colored with a silver sharpie, and a banner made out of a stamped image that I have no idea where it came from, and I cut some some tag ends on it.  A little red pompom, and Voila', a flag! 

The ear muffs!  Ah.....easily one of my favorite inspirations for this card...wire, wrapped around the afore mentioned toothpick, then stretched out slightly.  The "muff" parts were part from a retired Santa hat die (1040 props 5).  I sandwiched the wire between 2 muffs, then glues the muffs to Chilly's head.   The Sentiments were computer generated.

So the only "weird/different" thing about this card was that I had to put the mechanism pretty much at the bottom of the card so that the fishing pole wasn't sticking out the top of the card.  I used the igloo instead of the square to cover the mechanism, and built out a scene for the pond and glued the pole & the fish to it.  This made the card want to "over-open" a little, (Chilly was slanted downhill a bit) so behind the igloo (on the lower right) I glued a hook from a hook and eye set to work as a "stop".  I must say, It works pretty darned good!  

A little Wink of Stella here and there, and we have another card!

This card was a Blast to make!  I like having to improvise and make up stuff.  It seems to personalize the card more, and challenges me. 

 I hope this inspires you to try different things!

ttfn:
Karen


2 comments:

  1. Hi Karen - love card and yes I am inspired - I have created a couple cards with the spinner - like this idea very much and how you also did the front and inside - thanks for the inspiration - and I so get it --- when the ideas come at bed time - up we go and then before you know it we cannot stop - been there and done that - it worked out well! Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete