Thursday, August 2, 2018

Something a little different for you.....Mock-ups

So, I thought I'd try something a little different.  I am learning that with pop-up cards it's sometimes best to plan ahead a bit. I've learned that "mock-ups" can be a big help.  

Mock-ups allow you to see the overall design of the card.  This helps with color placement, and object placement, not to mention mechanism placement (if applicable).

In this card, I wanted to use the Square Spinner Pop-up in a different orientation.  (It's at the back of the card).  I also wanted to put in a floating floor.  (It's under the grave, and behind the grass).  I also wanted to use a panel the full width of the card instead of the square.  

By doing the mock-up, I learned I needed an extra support for the panel, so I modified the spinner element by cutting the spinner element off, leaving the box.  I used this for my support on the left side of the card.  

Nothing is worse than destroying your card by removing  something that didn't fit right.  With a mock-up you can figure this out beforehand.  With some pop-ups, placement of the mechanism is key.  

Another key to the design is the element coming off of the pop-up.  In this case it's the house and full moon, they pivot.  I needed to make sure they weren't  too flimsy, or in the wrong place.  As it is, I had to remove the ghost from my original placement.  He stuck out of the card.   

So I thought I'd show you a picture of what the mock-up design for the card I am currently working on, looks like.  



Most of the color is very neutral.  I make a card base in the size I think I want to use, then pick out scraps of paper for the colors that I know I want to use in that area.  For example...the moon, and the grass, & the house.  This is pretty much what the colors for these item will be, give or take.  This will help me choose some of the other colors for the card.   

I like to try and pick out any pattern paper, (if I am going to use it) before I start.  It's frustrating to me to get so far along in the card, and then not be able to find co-ordinating papers.  I don't get paper from just one company, so they rarely match.  Picking it out a head of time can save you a headache later.

I hope some of this information helps.  I don't by any means know everything, but maybe I have some tips you hadn't thought of.

Come back in a day or two to see the finished card.  

ttfn: Karen


1 comment:

  1. What a great idea!! I need to do that with all my pop-ups.

    ReplyDelete